- Remind yourself that this is temporary. I really love the mantra "This too shall pass" because it reminds us that everything — including positive and negative events — is temporary. In a few days, weeks, or years, you will probably get over it. All that matters is knowing that there is a day you will move on and to not invest so much energy in thinking about an event that's temporary.
- Sleep early. Sometimes all you can do after a stressful event is to give it time and sleep on it. Head to bed early tonight so that you'll wake up well rested and ready to tackle the next day with gusto. Not getting enough sleep can cause you to be more cranky and sensitive, so you should definitely get a full night's rest after a bad day.
- SOS a friend. Tell your friend you need an emergency hangout to get your mind off of things. Having someone else around can get you out of the negative rut. It's always nice to have an understanding ear and someone to distract you.
- Animal therapy. Animal therapy will beat retail therapy any day. Many studies have shown that owning a pet is related to lower rates of depression and blood pressure. If you don't have a pet, perhaps play with a neighbor's furry friend or visit a shelter to coo over the cute puppies.
- Meditate. Close your eyes, take a few breaths, and mentally release all that is bothering you. Meditation will give your brain a break from the stress and it will maybe even help you put things into perspective and help you realize that your situation isn't so dire after all.
- Exercise. As we all know, exercise produces endorphins, chemicals that make you feel good. Go to the gym and play your favorite workout songs and get a good workout. You'll be feeling better in no time.
- Watch a comedy. Laughter is the best medicine and watching a funny movie, TV show, or YouTube video can distract you from the negative events in your life.
Still feeling glum? Here's how to banish your negative thoughts.
This story was provided by our content partner, POPSUGAR, a website that delivers up-to-the-minute news and information on the latest in entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, shopping, and more.
MORE FROM POPSUGAR:
Stuck in a Rut? 12 Things You Can Do to Help You Find Your Calling
4 Alternative Treatments to Uplift Your Work Self
11 Things You Need to Throw Away
9 Things You Can Do to Live a Happier Life, According to Science
11 Ways to Cheer Yourself Up