Take a look at the following 10 questions and answer each one by indicating: yes, no or maybe.
1. Are you in a place in your life where you can comfortably move forward in your encore without having to deal with another pressing aspect of your life (e.g., where you live, caring for someone else, getting through a health issue)?
2. Do you have some ideas for what you might want to do next?
3. Is there some issue you can’t stop thinking about?
4. Do you have a sense of how far away you are from making a big change in your working life?
5. Do you feel financially ready to make a shift?
6. Do you have someone you can comfortably talk to about your ideas and plans?
7. Are you open to the idea of taking classes or doing some other kind of on-the-job learning to update your skills or learn something new?
8. Do you know what kind of environment you want to work in and how much time you want to work?
9. Do you know if you want to work for yourself or for an organization?
10. Can you succinctly describe where you are in the process of moving into a new career or what it is you want to do next?
If your answer sheet is loaded with nos and maybes, you’re probably more in the planning than the launching phase of your encore. Invest some time in finding out where the best opportunities and greatest needs are, and learn how people in those arenas set up their working lives. Identify what your encore career could look like: What are you looking for in your stage of life? What roles do purpose and passion play in your life? What would make you eager to go to work every day? What would you be thrilled to never have to do again?
If you have a lot of yeses, you’re ready. Begin to learn the nitty-gritty of how to make a transition. Calculate how much money you’ll need. Determine how to connect with new people and communities. Do you need further education, an internship or an apprenticeship? Begin to investigate.
Our resources page can help.
Adapted from “The Encore Career Handbook.” Copyright © 2013 Civic Ventures. Reprinted with permission from Workman Publishing. All Rights Reserved.