Selling Gold? Expect Less
- By Stephanie AuWerter
- August 15, 2011
The scenario: Late July. Gold prices are above $1,600 an ounce. I have a brilliant idea: sell my broken gold bracelet for some easy money!
The reality: At a local San Francisco jewelry store, my bracelet is weighed and tested. A calculator is produced, and I get … drrrrum roll…. a whopping $66.
The explanation: Gold jewelry that can’t be resold “as is” is priced based on its so-called scrap value or melt value, which factors in the percentage of gold in the item, its weight and the current price of gold.
My 14 karat bracelet was 58.3% gold, and weighed 4.43 grams. That made it worth about $134 on the day I sold it. (If the bracelet had been 18k, or 75% gold, it would have been worth roughly $173.) My total haul was only $66 because you get anywhere from about 10% to 85% of the melt value.
Lesson learned: Your jewelry box is probably not a treasure chest. Still, to get the best price (which I didn’t), shop around, haggle, or pool your jewelry with friends for more bargaining leverage. Or, as you would with a used car, negotiate a trade-in for another piece of jewelry.
Golden opportunity? What’s the best way you’ve unloaded unwanted goods for cash?
Brokerage Products: Not FDIC Insured • No Bank Guarantee • May Lose Value
The content in this website with the exception of that provided by Charles Schwab have been provided by third-parties and/or prepared by DailyWorth who is not affiliated with, associated with or endorsed by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (“Schwab”). Therefore, the information contained within the content of the website that has not been prepared by Schwab should not be considered as approved, endorsed or recommended by Schwab. Schwab does not guarantee that the Information is accurate, complete or timely, nor does Schwab make any warranties to you regarding any results from using the Information. This also includes any links that DailyWorth provides as a courtesy to users of their website to third-party websites. Third-party websites are owned and operated by independent information providers (“IIPs”).
Interviews with Schwab employees created by DailyWorth are for general informational purposes only and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or investment advice. Investing involves risks, including the potential loss of principal invested. Keep in mind that diversification strategies, do not ensure a profit and do not protect against losses in declining markets and may not be suitable for you.
The content provided by Schwab is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax, legal or investment planning advice. Where specific advice is necessary or appropriate, Schwab suggests that you seek professional assistance.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (“Schwab”). All rights reserved. Member SIPC. (0413-2767)