Everyone has their off days, but why cause more negativity you can avoid it? If you work on thinking positively about yourself and others, you will be that much closer to being your happiest self. Below are 19 things unhappy people do that we should all try to avoid.
1. They worry about things they can't change. We are all guilty sometimes of wondering what might have been if we had chosen or acted differently. But in most cases, this is a dead-end street. Unhappy people tend to brood about the "could've, should've, would'ves" of life, but it's important not to worry about things we can't change; instead, we should learn from our mistakes and simply try to do better next time! We may even end up being happy that we made some mistakes.
2. They give up when things get too hard. Unhappy people tend to back down when they are presented with a challenge. It's easy to throw in the towel when things seem like a lost cause, but powering through and persevering will usually yield good results. Giving up just leaves you feeling defeated. Regardless of the outcome, following through boosts confidence and reassures us that when all is said and done, we did everything we could to make it happen!
3. They take themselves too seriously. People who take themselves too seriously tend to take life too seriously in general. If you are able to take a step back and laugh at yourself and the absurdity of life every now and then, things won't seem so dire.
4. They never exercise. Exercise has countless mental and physical benefits. The more you exercise, the better you feel about yourself and the more likely you are to live a healthy lifestyle. Ditching exercise for a more sedentary way of life can have an overall negative effect on mood, health, and happiness. Here are some workouts that match different moods!
5. They set unattainable goals for themselves. We all know that setting goals for ourselves is important; it's the only way to get things done! But it can be a problem when the goals are unrealistic and unreachable. While we think it's great to always reach for the stars, people who hold themselves to impossible standards will be left feeling disappointed if they don't succeed. The key is to set small and attainable goals for yourself, and you will feel great when you meet and even exceed them. Remember — nobody is perfect!
6. They eat unhealthy foods often. Everyone has their guilty food pleasure (truffle fries, anyone?), and we fully support the occasional indulgence. However, unhappy people tend to let their indulgences become their habits. Eating healthy foods can lift your mood, give you more energy, and improve your physical health. Plus, there are so many great healthy recipes out there to try!
7. They don't get enough sleep. Sleep is essential! The amount of sleep you get corresponds with how happy and productive you are the next day. You may think that putting in that extra hour of work is a good idea, but nine times of out 10, work — and most other things! — should take the backseat to a good night's sleep. Check out some good bedtime habits to aid your beauty sleep!